Sturdy and stable substation automation
Bay station controllers in the electrical power supply must withstand special environmental requirements, especially when the station automation is used in high-voltage equipment, strongly vibrating or shock generating system components or also in environments with a seismic risk. We have therefore developed an extremely sturdy bay station controller with the net-line BCU-50, which fulfils the requirements of modern substation automation. Like all products from SAE IT-systems, the BCU-50 is also distinguished by high functionality and durability as well as tremendous performance.
Voltage and shock-resistant
The net-line BCU-50 has been developed in line with the product standard DIN EN 61850-3. According to this standard, it is suitable for use in locations such as power stations and medium voltage stations "G", high-voltage switchgears "H" as well as for signal and field connections "f" and high-voltage connections "h". Thee dielectric strength of the bay station controller corresponds to Class VW3 as per IEC 60870-2-1. Also in respect to shock resistance (DIN EN 60068-2-6), vibration strength (IEC 60068-2-27) and seismic vibrations (EN 60255-21-3), the net-line BCU-50 fulfils the high requirements of the standards. Consequently the system can also be used in regions prone to earthquakes. The system cards designed for tough use in the rough environment of switching housings, transformer stations and high voltage systems enables safe operation.
Application fields of the net-line BCU-50
A series of powerful functional modules forms the basis of the numerous possibilities for using the BCU-50. These include for example convenient cross-connection (of information between different telecontrol stations), as well as the integration of external components (for instance protective device coupling via IEC 61850 or IEC 60870-5-103). The main application fields of the BCU-50 are:
- Station and bay controller in medium and high-voltage switchgears
- Gateway and communication router between station buses, field bus and control systems
- Monitoring and control unit for the utilities, waste management and manufacturing industry
Same as at its brother FW-50, a particular strength of BCU-50 lies in the implementation of communication tasks with substations and control systems of many different manufacturers.
High IT security with the net-line BCU-50
Like all products of the series5e, the BCU-50 stands for high IT security. It enables extensive IT security measures, as required in the current requirement profiles of the BDEW whitepaper and BSI recommendations. From the modern Linux kernel to extended firewall rules with granular activation through to user administration with free role assignment (RBAC): The BCU-50 allows an outstandingly high level of IT security.
Ready-to-use complete solutions
If required, the BCU-50 can also be purchased as a ready-to-use complete solution. In this case we design and realise on the basis of exact specifications bespoke, properly wired switchgear cabinets corresponding precisely to the agreed requirement profiles. If required, we deliver directly to the installation site.
You can find more information on the technical specifications of the BCU-50 in the data sheet of the model.
Application range according to IEC 61850-3
- Application site
- Power stations and medium voltage stations "G"
- High voltage switching stations "H"
- Signal links
- Field links "f"
- Links to high voltage equipment "h"
Voltage and shock-resistant
- Dielectric strength with 2.5 kV AC, 3.5 kV DC & 5.0 kV
- Impulse withstand voltage of Class VW3
- Vibration resistance of 10 m/s² according to DIN EN 60068-2-6
- Shock resistance of 15 g (150 m/s²) as well as a continuous shock load of 10 g at a stress immunity of 6000 shocks in accordance with IEC 60068-2-27
- Seismic vibrations up to 3.5 mm in accordance with EN 60255-21-3 (measuring relays and protection equipment) in each axis
- IEC 61850 l IED and protective device coupling
- IEC 60870-5-101 l telecontrol technology, station control technology
- IEC 60870-5-103 l protective equipment link
- IEC 60870-5-104 l TCP/IP coupling to control centre
- DNP3 server l serial/I
- IEC 62056-21 (formerly IEC 1107) l meter connection
- SML l SyM² meter connection via Ethernet
- DSfG l digital interface for natural gas-metering units
- Modbus RTU/TCP l master/slave
- MPI/3964R/RK512 l fieldbus
- SNMPv3 l network management
- NTP/SNTP/DCF clock synchronisation
- VPN tunnel (IPsec IKEv1/IKEv2, OpenVPN*, GRE*)
- Syslog-ng Server
- LDAP and RADIUS server*
* available from series5e
Possible communication paths
In combination with external or SAE communication modules, an extensive range of possible communication paths can be realised. And of course, the communication path can be secured redundantly.
- LAN network links in copper or fibre optic
- DSL and SHDSL
- Dedicated line in VFT technology
- 3G/4G mobile radio via GPRS, EDGE, HSPA/UMTS and LTE
Product variants of the BCU-50 and practical accessories
The powerful and sturdy BCU-50 is available in different versions, which means a bespoke solution is available for each individual requirement. We offer this bay station controller in the following versions and these accessories:
- BCU-50 l 14 slots, 224 digital I/O*, 112 analogue I/O*, 6 LAN segments*
- BCU-50-W l as BCU-50 with wall-mounting (T = 165 mm)
- Cable clamping tray BCU-50 l Cable strain relief (H + 37 mm)
* The maximum values only apply to limited extent, as some extensions use identical resources