In order to offer more communication possibilities in an even smaller space, integrated inputs/outputs have been omitted. The FW-5-GATE can of course also be supplemented with expansion modules and interface modules.
It offers cost-effective solutions for intelligent secondary distribution networks and smart metering through further interfaces with SML/SyM² meter integration, among others. An integrated temperature sensor measures the station temperature, which can be used e.g. for overload checks on a transformer.
The FW-5-GATE is equipped with additional interfaces for coupling external components to form intelligent networks. As with all the devices of the series5 series of products, the connection to the control centre can be made by many communication routes and protocols directly or with telecontrol interfaces, backed up with redundant systems if required.
Local meter integration is made via a second LAN connection with SML protocol or via the additional serial interface with IEC 62056-21 protocol. In the CL variant S0 meter pulse detection can also be used.
Typical fields of use
- Intelligent secondary unit substation with integration of earth fault/short circuit indicators, network analysis systems and protective devices
- Smart meter integration in energy management systems and remote meter reading control centres
- Intelligent measurement point for wide range regulation in distribution networks
- Field device in transformer substations with protection device coupling
- Monitoring of media and infrastructure systems in pipelines
Deployment as trasparent protocol converter
From setIT V5.3.7 respectively V5.4. (for CL versions ) the FW-5-GATE can also be operated in the "Protocol converter" mode. In this case the device enables the conversion of the following protocols, without that any process data needs to be configured:
- IEC -101 to IEC -104
- IEC -101 to IEC -104 (VPN encrypted)
- IEC -104 to IEC -104 (VPN encrypted)
- IEC -104 to IEC -101
The connection can be established parallel to several control centres.
Plug & Play solutions
On demand, a FW-5-GATE may be delivered as a plug & play prepared solution. We individually assemble compontens and cabinets on your demand and functionality, ready-made for a quick set-up. Aside the RTU the set regularly consists all required devices such as communication modems, UPS, relay, terminals and so on. The devices are usually mounted in cabinets from Rittal or Eaton.